A fresh twist on the humble chocolate brownie. Go on, you know you want to give it a try…
Made with Biogen Lean Whey, these brownies are packed with protein and flavour while the raspberries balance out the sweetness and add a pop of colour.
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal or chia meal
- 11/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup Biogen Raspberry Protein Powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 100 g 70% cocoa dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp instant coffee (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp boiling water
- 1 heaped cup sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 100 g fresh raspberries
Flaxseed is rich in omega-3 and aids in digestion. When used in baking, it can also act as a thickening agent, egg substitute and even a stabiliser.
- Prepare chia or flax eggs by mixing ground-up seeds with 3 tbsp of water in a small bowl. Set aside to activate.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C.
- Line a 20 cm x 20 cm baking tin with baking parchment. Make the baking parchment stick out of the tin so that you’re able to remove the brownies from the tin a little easier.
- Weigh your flour, and protein powder and then add baking soda. Mix together and then set aside.
- Boil a kettle of water, and while the water is boiling, chop your chocolate very finely.
- Add mixture to a big mixing bowl, with cacao powder, instant coffee (if using) and salt. Stir well.
- Pour 100 ml / 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp boiling water into the chocolate, cacao powder and salt mixture. Stir with a spoon so that chocolate melts in the hot liquid.
- Add in the sugar, flax egg and coconut oil.
- Using a hand mixer, blend the mixture until it’s smooth. Then slowly add the flour and baking soda mixture. Add a little at a time and stir it into the chocolate mixture with a spoon.
- Stir until there are no flour pockets visible, but no more than that. The batter will be super thick so you may need to use your hands towards the end.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared baking tin. Smooth it with a spatula and decorate with fresh raspberries and more chocolate.
- Bake the brownies on the middle shelf for about 22-24 minutes.