Dive into the holiday spirit with these delectable Black Velvet Cupcakes – not just a treat for your taste buds, but a protein-packed delight! The rich black frosting adorned with sparkles adds an extra layer of charm. Check out the recipe below and get ready for a delightful baking experience
Ingredients: Dry Ingredients
- 1 3⁄4 cups self-rising flour (substitute half with oat or whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup (200g) brown or coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 generous scoop of Biogen Night Feed Chocolate Protein Powder or any plant-based chocolate powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄3 cup (80g) neutral-flavored oil like canola or melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon black food coloring gel
Black Buttercream Frosting:
- 200g softened margarine or butter (substitute half with cream cheese for a high-protein option)
- 3 cups powdered sugar (reduce by adding 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar & another scoop of protein powder)
- 1-2 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 heaped tbsp cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp black food coloring
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients until there are no lumps. Add the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Adjust the food coloring to your desired shade.
- Use an ice cream scoop or a large spoon to fill the cupcake liners about 3/4 full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 25-30 minutes. Cool in the tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
- For the frosting: cream the butter, sift in the sugar, and beat until just combined. Fold in the cacao powder, black food coloring, and vanilla extract.
- Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, frost them and decorate as desired.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Enjoy!